Ask a question – describe your problem in detail.

Get help from experts on:

3 minutes

Average Response Time

I need to know how to dispute a charge on a credit card the account is in my name by the card so...

I need to know how to dispute a charge on a credit card the account is in my name by the card so what do I do? I need to know how to dispute a charge on a credit card the account is in my name by the card that was charge is in someone elses name and it was a unauthorized
Shakenya asked this question 1 year ago
  • Satman

    I currently work as a CSR for Directv. I was an installer for over 8 years for Directv and dish network. If...

    Go to and fill in the form. It takes about 10 days to complete.

    1 comment

    5 other experts are backing this answer

  • sur

    From past 8.5 years, servicing Bank of America clients through Customer Services, Chat Texts options related...

    There are three ways to submit credit card disputes:
    To dispute a credit card transaction online, log in to Online Banking, go to the Customer service tab and select the Dispute a credit card transaction link in the Credit card section. You may also go to the individual transaction you have in question, and if it is eligible for dispute, a dispute link will appear at the bottom of the merchant detail section.
    To dispute a credit card transaction by phone, please call 1.866.266.0212. Calling does not preserve your billing rights under the Fair Credit Billing Act; however, we will investigate your dispute in the same manner.

    Before you call, please have your statement on which the disputed charge appears, your receipt from the merchant and any other relevant information. If possible, please also have the last four digits of the reference number available.

    You may contact us in writing at:

    Attn: Billing Inquiries
    PO Box 982234
    El Paso, TX 79998-2234
    Write to us as soon as possible. Don't send the notice on or with your payment. In your letter, please include the following information:
    Your name and account number
    The dollar amount of the suspected error
    The posting date of the transaction
    A description of the error and an explanation of why you believe there is an error
    Timely notification is important. Most transactions must be disputed within 60 days of the date of your statement where the error appeared. If you believe there is unauthorized use on your account, please contact us immediately.

    Many times disputed charges are legitimate charges that customers may not recognize or remember. Before disputing a charge, we recommend you attempt to resolve the dispute with the merchant. Often the merchant can answer your questions and easily resolve your dispute. The merchant's phone number may be located on your receipt or billing statement.

    I hope contact DIRECTV will solve your problem, otherwise you need to contact Bank of America.


    2 other experts are backing this answer

  • Bankbuster

    Nix on investments but everything else is fair game!

    Shakenya, a critical question here is do you have Direct TV service. Of this is a charge for devices you don't have, them you don't need to contact the merchant. Call the bank's credit card customer service, tell them you need to file a claim on a fraudulent charge. They will direct your call to the claim department and the associate there will begin the process. If you have the service, follow the above advice concerning contacting the company and then the bank. All the best!


    2 other experts are backing this answer

  • Superme

    I am superme, and I work at BoA. I know the bank inside and out.

    Banks will require you to talk to Directv first.
    If Directv doesn't budge, then you do have to file a fraud claim.
    To do this, go into a banking center immediately. The personal banker will file the claim. Because credit card claims follow (REG E), they will have to call another department. Once the claim is filed, you will probably have to come back to the bank 2 more times.

    Let me know if you have more questions


    1 other expert is backing this answer

  • goods

    I have been a Directv technician for 5 years and can walk anyone through most problems or troubleshooting...

    There isn't much you can do if it was the credit card on file on the account. If it wasn't on file then call 8005315000 and let DTV know. Also call your credit card company and let them know.

  • D Girl

    being in crg (customer retention group/save team), i am the last person you will ever need to speak with to...

    At DIRECTV we work very hard to ensure the accuracy of our billing but in the unlikely event that your credit or debit card is charged in error, we are here to help.
    If you feel that your credit or debit card has been charged in error, you should visit our website at.
    • The entire credit/debit card number or bank account and routing numbers.
    • Your DIRECTV account number (if applicable)
    • A brief explanation of the issue, including the date and dollar amount of the disputed transaction(s).
    • Your name, phone number and email address so we can contact you.
    • Upload image of the credit card/bank statement showing the disputed transaction(s) and the name and address of the bank account/card holder.
    Please note that this information is required to research the charges, failure to provide this information will lead to a delay in processing your request.

    1 comment
    • D Girl

      Shakenya - any time you use a credit card in conjunction with your directv account weather it is your card or someone else's card that card will remain on file and can/will be used if the account is closed and there are any outstanding fees on it when closed. As stated in Section 5e of your Customer Agreement:

      Payment Upon Cancellation. You acknowledge that you have provided your credit or debit card account information to us. You understand that you will incur fees and charges as a result of your receipt and use of Service and/or Receiving Equipment, and may incur early cancellation fees and/or equipment non-return fees (as specified in any lease, programming or other service commitment agreement you entered into in connection with obtaining Receiving Equipment). By giving us your credit or debit card account information at any time, you authorize us to apply this method of payment, in accordance with applicable law, to satisfy any and all amounts due upon cancellation. You further acknowledge that you are required to maintain current credit or debit card information with us and agree to notify us whenever there is a change in such information, such as a change in the card number or the expiration date.
  • Vettster357

    Business analysis, Project Management, Collections

    Every Credit Card issuer will have their own specific instructions on exactly how they allow you to dispute a charge. This information will be found on the reverse side of your monthly billing statement from the credit card company. Follow their instructions for dispute.

  • kjackson2k1

    I have work for Directv for more than 2 years anything that you need to know about directv I can answer the...


    What you need to do is contact Customer Care ask for BGI or CRG and let them look into it. It can take up to 10 Business Days before you will here something. However the if the card was use at anytime for anything Directv keeps the card on file. Per Directv policy the will charge that card. If the disclosure was not read to you then you can go to and go to contact us send and email to Ellen who is the VP for Customer Services or the Office of the President they will contact you in 48 hours. You will have to stay on them the minute that you let up they will drop the claim.

  • Johnny Sagum

    I worked in the financial services industry for almost 8 years. I held a Series 7 General Securities License...

    Hi, Shakenya!

    Contact the customer service number located on the back of your credit card. Let them know you attempted to contact DirectTV but were unsuccessful in resolving the unauthorized charge. If it is a recurring charge, you may want to have your credit card company issue you a new credit card number. Even if your credit card company blocks DirectTV for that amount of payment, future payments can be processed successfully if they change the dollar amount by as little as $0.01. Your credit card company will assist you with any required steps, and you may have to sign and return forms so they can proceed with a Regulation E (Electionic Fund Transfer) dispute.

    I hope this answer has helped!